Wednesday, April 27, 2005

switched to rxvt-unicode from aterm

I'm try out rxvt-unicode. I'm a long term aterm user. It's small, does pseudotransparency and generally just works. However, it's got some minor annoyances: it can be fiddly to build (or it used to be - depended on WindowMaker for some libraries, and I'm not a WindowMaker user) but more importantly always had some unremovable borders.

Since I have a rather disciplined Zen desktop environment this is a bit annoying; I'd pop up a new terminal and find the text slightly inset from the screen edges. rxvt-unicode seems to honour its borderwidth settings and also has a neat "stay aligned to the nearest screen corner" setting that keeps things neat.

Besides, though I tend to live in a "C" locale, I like the idea of properly rendered glyphs. The other neat setting is the vanishing mouse cursor, which will disappear after a tunable time if not moved.

No comments: